Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Saturday Morning at Cayuga Lake

Last Thursday A. texted me and asked me what I was doing for the Labor Day weekend. I reported that I had nothing on my docket, and then she asked if I'd like to join her at her family's house on the lake. I did not hesitate in saying yes. The drive up under optimal circumstances would take about four and a half hours, but we (A., G. and I) didn't make it to the house until six hours had gone by...traffic on 76 and 476, boo. Any how, I woke up on Saturday to the sound of mini lake waves landing on the stone shore and a few slivers of a sun peeking through the curtains. Though it was not even 8 o'clock (and I do like to sleep in when I can) I couldn't help but get out of bed and walk out and take photographs of the early pretty.


More people were stirring in a bit, and A.'s father made up some delicious, spicy scrambled eggs.
A.'s mother, in preparation for two of her three children's arrival (along with three friends) baked a coffeecake. I forgot how good coffeecake really is. Mmmmm.
Flowers on the table.


At one point I noticed a giant hive in a tree in the backyard of the house (to the front is the lake, to the back woods and even a little stream). It seems that when they were last up, this hive did not exist. Put another way, it seemed likely that the hive was either created entirely in the two weeks since their last visit, or a very small version of it quadrupled (or whatever) in that same time period.

I have never seen a hive this large in my life. Not once. Well, now I have. But before that.

No comments: